Like our other towns, Bellville was founded with the coming of the railroad in 1890 and drew its life from the subsequent development of naval stores, lumbering and farming.
The town name, Bellville, was named for James Bell Smith's mother, Miss Fannie Bell, of an early Irish family, who married James Smith, Esq. Together they built a home which still stands on the south side of Highway 280, just below the Smith Cemetary on Highway 169.
Bellville was not incorporated until March, 1959. Its affairs have always been well ordered by the citizens, and it has lived up to its name of being an exceptionally beautiful, quiet and clean community.