Welcome to Claxton - Evans County Chamber of Commerce
Evans County
The county was established from the counties of Bulloch and Tattnall on August 11, 1914, by Act of the Georgia General Assembly. The county was named for General Clement Anselm Evans, a lawyer who graduated from the Law School of Augusta, Georgia. He was in the Georgia State Senate in 1859, and served in the Confederate Army through the War Between The States. He was acting Brigadier Major-General in the Army of Northern Virginia at the time of Lee’s surrender. He was an author as well as an eminent Methodist minister. 
Evans County Courthouse
Our Courthouse, located on Highway 280 West, was completed in 1923. Though it was the very first courthouse constructed in 1914, it was  the tallest and most distinguished building in town, located on Railroad Street. This building still stands today. 
Claxton
County seat of Evans County contained two widely separate dwellings when the old Savannah and Western Railroad reached what is now the town in May of 1890. An application was made to the United States Post Office Department for the town of "Hendricks". This was refused as another town was using the name, but upon the suggestion of L.A. Tippins, the Department granted a permit for a post office to be named Claxton. It is said that the town was named after Mr. Philander Priestly Claxton, a noted educator. 
Daisy
Daisy is located about three miles from the eastern boundary of the county. This town was named for Mrs. Daisy Edwards Miller and it is crossed by US Highways 280 and 250. This is a thriving farming section of Evans County. The downtown area off Railroad St. is lined with beautiful antebellum homes. The history has been preserved with historical store fronts on a block consisting of Daisy’s Fire Department, Post Office and Town Hall. Daisy also restored a train car which is parked in the downtown area next to the railroad tracks.
 
Hagan
This town was named for Mrs. Susannah Hagan Smith around 1890 when the railroad came through the county. At one time it was the home of a highly reputed boarding school. Perkins Mill was established in this community which employed a large number of citizens. It's closing in 1910 had a harmful effect upon the development of the city; however, today, Hagan is  a thriving community with major developments in residential and business districts. 
Bellville
Like our other towns, Bellville was founded with the coming of the railroad in 1890 and drew its life from the subsequent development of naval stores, lumbering and farming.
The town name, Bellville, was named for James Bell Smith's mother, Miss Fannie Bell, of an early Irish family, who married James Smith, Esq. Together they built a home which still stands on the south side of Highway 280, just below the Smith Cemetary on Highway 169.
Bellville was not incorporated until March, 1959. Its affairs have always been well ordered by the citizens, and it has lived up to its name of being an exceptionally beautiful, quiet and clean community.

The above information was gathered from "A History of Evans County", published by the Evans County Historical Society. 


Evans County Courthouse
Our Courthouse, located on Highway 280 West, was completed in 1923. Though it was the very first courthouse constructed in 1914, it was  the tallest and most distinguished building in town, located on Railroad Street. This building still stands today. 


Evans County Courthouse
Our Courthouse, located on Highway 280 West, was completed in 1923. Though it was the very first courthouse constructed in 1914, it was  the tallest and most distinguished building in town, located on Railroad Street. This building still stands today.